Friday, June 29, 2012

On Organic Food


Dear TEAMS,

Because I have been trying to limit the Nutrition Stuff to my other blog on our business site for reference, I have not broached this topic with you.  However, as this blog grows, I am seeing less time for me to spend on the other blog and think I will integrate it into this one.

You probably feel I have spent most of your life with me preaching to you about God first and Nutrition second.  Well, that is at least what I think sometimes!  Your body is not who you are, but it is so vitally important to your quality of life, which I imagine I will cover in future posts.  But for today, I thought I would begin with a question I was asked by someone and my answer.

Love, 









Hi, just wondering what you think about regular/organic produce. Obviously the best choice is food grown in your own garden! Sometimes I wonder if it's really that big of a deal with fruits and veggies, if you wash them (and peel them sometimes)...what do you think? A friend of ours got us thinking, she works at an organic foods store and she said some of the worst ones are potatoes and apples, they soak up the chemicals. So i guess something like bananas would be less affected?

We don't feel led to buy all this organic food at the store...but we do try to get natural foods when we can because we believe they are best. what brought this to my attention again is because I'm going to make [her daughter]'s fruit and veggies myself since that's the healthiest and cost-effective way to go! Thanks!

[signed]



Hi [friend]!

What the government says a producer must do to be "organic" and what most people consider "organic" are 2 very different things. The question isn't if it's organic, it's if it is safe, nutritious food.

It is my opinion that you can have 2 veggies at [local grocery store], one marked "organic" and one not marked and the one that is not marked could be actually safer to eat. What I have decided to do for our family is try to buy organic leafys, but if I can't then I pull off the outer 2 layers and throw them out. For strawberries, peaches, and apples, I try to buy local so I can ask what they use as pesticides/herbicides. For ALL produce, I bring it home and soak it in a water-with-vinegar bath, about 2:1. And I bought one of those plastic pot scrubber things and use it after they have soaked.

With [her daughter]'s digestive system being the age it is, squash is a great thing to start her out on, and quite safe since you throw away the rind. Pumpkin, butternut, acorn--whatever. You'll get fiber, starch, and lots and lots of vitamins A and C.

Don't underestimate buying frozen veggies, either. Heating carrots and tomatoes destroys some of the nutrients, but enhances some of the other phytonutrients in them.

Does your friend know the farmers who grow the stuff at her store? I'm sure she sells tons of great, nutritious, and safe stuff! However, I'm just letting you know how I approach it for our family with our finances. If we can buy organic, that's great, but for the times when we can't this is what we do.

Love ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Because the intended audience for this manual is my children, please make sure the comments you leave are constructive and positive ones.